Monday, April 02, 2007

Making a blanket and a baby

I've been reading all these crafty blogs where everybody is crocheting blankets. Granny squares, ripples it all looks like so much fun it made me want to pull out my crochet hooks. I like the shell stitch and I found this beautiful purple variegated yarn that I thought would look great paired with a subtle neutral like white. Well as I got going I really didn't like the purple and white contrast. It was just way too much. I stopped and made it into a cute scarf for Maria. It is just her size.I still had a lot of this beautiful purple yarn to work with so back to the yarn store I went to pick out more yarn that might go better. I also went to my sketch book to come up with a better blanket design than stripes.
I have made it about half way through this purple/green with applique flower concept. It will be very pretty. When done. Wow am I slow at crochet! Is crochet slow? I'm sure it must be me, I am very slow at everything.

So my mind wanders off onto other future craft projects while I'm hooking away. When I heard that a friend just had a baby boy, I seized the opportunity to jump to another project. I grabbed a stack of wool scraps and started cutting. I did not get very far into it when I started to consider how well I really know this friend. I mean I have no idea if she would even appreciate a handmade gift. She might say, "eew! This was made from thrift shop sweaters?" But maybe not. I don't know her very well. I think I am really trying to come up with an excuse to keep it for myself. I think it came out really pretty. I love the colors. I was going to use a pretty light blue baby wale cord for the binding, but by chance I put a little black/sparkly gold next to it and changed my mind. I love it when fluky things like that happen and end up being a great idea. I never would have thought of it on my own.

I need to get back to this crochet project and finish it up fast. I have so many more ideas and so little time before this new baby comes. Honestly though, this baby girl is the project I have put the most amount of energy into over the past 8 months, and more than anything in the world, I can't wait to see how she comes out.

No comments: