Sunday, October 01, 2006

Baby quilt is done!

I have completed one of my major unfinished projects!! Yay! This is a quilted portrait of my daughter when she was about 18 months. It took probably about 300 hours in all to complete. It is all pieced, not applique, in 234 little 2" squares. It was a lot of fun to work on because it had so many different stages. I wasn't sure for awhile how to quilt it, but in the end I was afraid to stick under my machine because it was bulky in some areas. So I hand quilted it which was really fun and not a hard as I thought It was going to be. This is the third quilt I have made and I will definitly do more quilting. It is such a wonderful creative medium. My husband and I have had a lot of laughs over how this quilt looks. I have always thought it makes her look a little like an alien. He just couldn't understand why I choose a portrait. I have no idea why, it just seemed like fun. I also have no idea what to do with it now. It is certainly too strange to hang on a wall like in the livingroom or familyroom. It is too scary to hang over my daughters' bed! I can only imagine the horror of seeing this in the dark at night! After all the hours I put into it I don't really want to look at it anymore. I felt like sending the girls out to the yard to have a mudpie picnic on it! Please note: the image is best appreciated if your eyes are blurred a little bit and from a distance. Then it is awesome!

No comments: